Wondering how to make indirect speech of sentences with ‘Let’? Let’s make indirect speech of following ‘let’ sentences with examples and explanation.
- He said, “let’s wait for him one more time here”
- She said to him, “Let’s think if there is any alternative to this issue”
- Mark said, “Let’s not waste our time here by waiting for him”
Now, look at answers below how we have made reported speech of sentences with ‘Let’
- He suggested that they should wait him for one more time there.
- She proposed to they should think if there was any alternative to that issue.
- Mark suggested that they should not waste their time by waiting for him.
Rules for Changing ‘Let Sentences’ into Indirect Speech.
- Understand the context of ‘Let sentence’ and replace the reporting verb ‘said’ with related to its context.
- If the ‘let sentences’ gives a meaning of order, persuade or allow, replace the word ‘said’ with ‘requested to/ordered to’. Preposition ‘To’ is used to connect both parts of sentences. Take an example below.
The principal said to watchman, “let the visitors come in”
The principal ordered the watchman to let the visitors come in.
- If the ‘let sentence’ gives meaning of suggestion or wish, replace ‘said’ with proposed to/suggested to/wished to. Change ‘Let’ with ‘should’, and ‘that’ is used to connect both parts of sentences. Take an example below.
She said,”let’s attend another lecture”
She suggested that they should attend another lecture.
- If something supposed in the sentence replace the word ‘said’ with ‘told’. Change ‘let’ with ‘might’ and ‘that’ connects both parts of sentence. Take an example below.
She said to me, “let me find some good clothes for Alex”
She told me to let her find some good clothes for Alex.
Let’s study more examples below.
|Direct Speech||Indirect Speech|
|Martin said to Eela, "Let's go on a walk"||Martin suggested Eela that they should go on a walk.|
|He said, "Let's play another round of luddo game"||He proposed that they should play another round of luddo game.|
|She said, "Let's meet with the principal and discuss the matter"||She suggested that they should meet the principal and discuss the matter.|
|The teacher said to students, "Let the holidays come so we can plan a visit"||The teacher told the students to let the holidays come so they could plan a visit.|
|I said to him, "Let me take rest now, I may rise again"||I said to him that I might rise again if he lets me take rest then.|
|Alex said to him "Let me think of today tomorrow shall take care of itself"||Alex requested him to let him think of today tomorrow shall take of itself.|
|Martin said, "let Alex watch movie again"||Martin requested that Alex should be allowed to watch movie again|
|She said, "Let my son work for you"||She requested that her son should be allowed to work for me.|
|I said, "Let's decide who takes what"||I suggested to decide that who takes what.|
|They said to each other "Let's make a united protest against the policies of government"||They suggested with each other that they should make a united protest against the policies of the government. |
|I said, "Let me find a best solution for you"||I requested that I might be allowed to find a best solution for them. |
|She said, "Let watchman find the thief of our car"||She suggested that the watchman should be allowed to find the thief of their car.|
|Alex said, "Let's sign an agreement for peace"||Alex suggested that they should sign an agreement of peace. |
|Martin said, "Let's go to meeting"||Martin proposed that they should go to meeting.|
|She said, "It's rainy day let's plan a picnic"||She suggested that they should plan a picnic as it was a rainy day.|
|Doctor said, "Let's wait till your bone heals"||Doctor suggested that we should wait till my bone heals.|