Study and understand following given direct and indirect speech exercise for grade 9th. The exercise is solved with answers. You can even download it in Pdf.
1. The teacher said to me, “You have good numbers in English”
- The teacher told me that I had good numbers in English.
- The teacher told me that I have good numbers in English.
2. They said to me, “Is your teacher good at Mathematics”
- They asked me whether my teacher was good at Mathematics.
- They asked me if my teacher had been good at Mathematics.
3. The tourist said, “Vow! this mountain is amazing”
- The tourist exclaimed with wonder that that mountain was amazing.
- The tourist shouted that that mountain was amazing.
4. I said to him, “What is the method of entry here”
- I asked him what was the method of entry there.
- I asked to him that what was the method of entry there.
5. Mamata said to the shopkeeper, “You are cheater! why you have overpriced these items?”
- Mamta shouted at the teacher saying why he had overpriced those items.
- Mamata asked the teacher why he had overpriced those items and he was cheater.
6. I said to her, “The hairdresser was busy yesterday”
- I told her that the hairdresser had been the day before.
- I told her that the hairdresser was busy the day before.
7. The little girl said to Mother, “I want to come along you”
- The little girl told her mother that she wanted to go along with her.
- The little girl told her mother that she wants to come along with her.
8. I said to Head teacher, “Kindly make your papers easy to solve”
- I said to Head teacher respectfully to make his papers easy to solve.
- I requested Head teacher to kindly make his papers easy to solve.
9. She said, “Are online games helpful in study?”
- She asked whether the online games were helpful in study.
- She said that were online games helpful in study.
10. I said to my daughter, “Work hard and be a successful lady”
- I advised my daughter to work hard and be a successful lady.
- I said to my daughter that she work hard and be a successful lady.
Further Direct and Indirect Speech Exercises
Practice more and get more skills English grammar narration. Brush up your knowledge with all advanced, intermediate and medium level reported speech exercises for all classes and levels.