Before you go on how to teach direct and indirect speech, you would definitely wonder that what are the rules of reported speech? How to convert a sentence from direct speech to indirect speech? Here you go! we have listed here reported speech rules with complete steps with examples and exercises.
1. Identify reported speech and reporting speech part of sentence.
2. Remove punctuation marks.
3. Put the conjunction “that” between reporting and reported speech.
4. Change the reporting verbs as per the rules.
5. Change the pronoun form as per the basic pronoun changing rules in indirect speech.
6. Change the words denoting place or time in direct speech accordingly in indirect speech.
7. Follow all other basic rules.
[block]0[/block][For a detailed study of Reported Speech Rules Click here]
How do you convert direct into indirect speech?
In order to better understand how to change a sentence in reported speech easily, let’s take an example.
He said, “I am busy in my school”
Now, if we follow the rules mentioned above, it would be like:
1. Identify reported and reporting speech:
He said, (Reporting speech)
I am busy in my school. (Reported speech)
2. Use the conjunction “that”
He said (that) I am busy in my school.
3. Change the form of tense:
There are two parts; reporting speech and reported speech. You have to keep in mind the sequence of tense like if reporting part is present tense the other reported speech form will also be in present tense. If the reporting speech is in past the subsequent part will also be in past. If the reporting speech is in future tense the subsequent part will be either in present or future tense.
4. Change the reported speech tense as per the tense changing rules:
Here, present continuous tense would be converted into past continuous tense.
He said that he was busy in his school.
5. Pronoun has been changed accordingly.
Find here how to change pronoun in indirect speech.
Let’s solve few more sentences.
He said, “I have worked in a big organization”
He said that he had worked in big organization.
They said, “We will visit Paris by next year”
They said that they would visit Paris by coming year.
He said, “I will solve this problem”
He said that he would solve that problem.
She said, “I am making a rules chart”
She said that she was making a rules chart.